French English
camping royan atlantique
63 campsites

Discover Campsites of "Pays Royannais" and book your holiday in Charente Maritime

liste camping
Find our campsite:
Nb stars:
Geographical area:
Accomodation:

Saint Augustin sur Mer

Presentation

vue aerienne

The inhabitants are called “Saint-Augustinais and Saint-Augustinaises”. In the heart of Arvert penisula, this little town is a little bit out of the rest of Royan area. Its development has been constant during the last years. It is separated from “Saint-Palais” by the bypass and from “La Palmyre” by the forest. It is near the towns Breuillet and Breuillet. At the beginning of “La Coubre and Les Combots d’Absoine” forests which are protected natural areas, Saint-Augustin is the only town in the area of La Tremblade which has no outlet to the sea or river. But anyway its name Saint-Augustin-sur-mer is not usurped : in the past it was an important harbour on the gulf of Barbareu which is today filled in with sediments and transformed into a large swamp.

Activities and cultural heritage

   mairie Eglise saint Etienne Parc de la mairie

Saint-Augustin church is an ancient medieval church. It was in the middle of the town on a little rocky part which was overlooking the gulf of Barbareu and a little fishing port in the past. Out of the parish center, the “Breuil” dwelling was an ancient noble house which had - as many other houses - a private chapel. The owner agreed to donate the chapel but only on one condition : to get from the episcopate the status of parish church. So they built a new front in a classical style with a triangular pediment and a small bell-tower. The interior is very sober and looks like a ship lit by large voulted bays which extends up to a half cylindrical abside.

In Saint-Augustin the temple was open to cult in 1862. It was built in “Charosson” locality . Its front of gothic inspiration is made of stones from Thénac and on the highest part there is an oculus (a bull’s-eye window) which is accentuated by a sculpted band.

A recumbent statue has been edified next to the temple. It shows the remarkable funeral art in Arvert penisula. It was built in 1872 and represents Justin-Elie Leclerc who died in 1871 at the age of twenty during the franco-prussian war. The scuptors were Malterre and Cougrand from Saujon. This statue represents a dying soldier which is lying down wearing his uniform and hobnailed boots and carrying his gun and bayonet.

Informations

Saint Augustin sur mer en charente maritime

Mairie de St Augustin
1, Rue de la Cure
17570 Saint Augustin
 
Phone number: 05 46 23 23 37
Email: infos@mairie-saint-augustin.fr
Site: www.mairie-saint-augustin.fr

Office de Tourisme de St Augustin
1, Rue de la Cure
17570 Saint Augustin
 
Phone number: 05 46 05 53 56
Email: otstaugustin@wanadoo.fr
Site: otstaugustin.wix.com/web

 
 
 

Camping(s) living on this municipality

 

 
Sources texts and photos: sites of the city hall, the Office of tourism and Wikipedia
2013 © - Association Plein Air - charente maritime campsites - legal informations Design : Graphiweb Royan
fermer
 
fermer